I (Janna) just thought I'd ask for you to pray for me... as I'm undertaking something quite overwhelming. I used to volunteer for a family-run recreation program for local adults with developmental disabilities. I absolutely LOVED helping out and getting to know the participants... they are so sweet and funny and I had a great time working with them. I volunteered for about 5 years, and then the family could no longer run the program b/c they adopted two little girls and they no longer had the time to put into planning it. So after two years of not having this program, I couldn't bear it anymore, so I decided to start it again on my own. The first year that I did that was last year... and it went well, but I had a huge lack of volunteers. This year, however, I have gotten the participation of my church and I have a huge group of awesome people who are willing to volunteer! Awesome! :)
Tonight is the first time we meet this year. I am always nervous for the first meeting b/c I have many brand-new volunteers who have no idea how this program works. So I need your prayers that everything will go well. God has really given me peace about it... but I am still a little apprehensive. I just want everything to run smoothly, know what I mean? :)
This program is so fun b/c we play outdoor activities that include kickball, T-ball, sometimes soccer and/or volleyball, and outdoor bowling! (Bowling is, by far, the favorite amongst the participants. It is played on concrete shuffleboard courts and it is hilarious! The bowling balls and pins were donated, but they get really beat up b/c of the concrete that we play on.)
Check out the website for this program:
http://www.recnight.com/

Watching kickball from the stands. :)

Sara & my mom helping out with outdoor bowling. :)
Hope you're all doing well!
God bless & take care,
LOVE, Janna
UPDATE: Recreation Night went VERY well tonight! :) I had a lot of great volunteers and it made things run so much more smoothly. I am always amazed at how God pulls it all together... and all of the hard work is so worth it! :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment